Norman Jackson is Emeritus Professor of the University of Surrey, England, and Founder of ‘Lifewide Education & Creative Academic
I began my career as a geologist (university teacher/researcher and mining & field practitioner). A mid-career change led me to several national agencies - Her Majesty's Inspectorate, Higher Education Quality Council, Quality Assurance Agency, University for Industry, Learning and Teaching Support Network, the Higher Education Academy. In these national organisations I performed many different roles: inspector, researcher, policy maker, developer, broker and curator.
Alongside this work I maintained an active academic interest in the field of education and learning. My work as an educator has formed around the challenges of encouraging higher education to take more seriously the creative development of learners and enable them to prepare themselves for the complexities, uncertainties and disruptions of long learning lives. At the Higher Education Academy I led work on ‘creativity in higher education’. As Director of the Surrey Centre for Excellence in Professional Training and Education (SCEPTrE) at the University of Surrey, I developed and applied the idea of lifewide learning and education to give meaning and substance to the concept of lifelong learning. The ideas of ecologies for learning and practice emerged from this work and their educational value is now being championed through the two social educational enterprises I founded - ‘Lifewide Education’ and ‘Creative Academic’.
My books include:
- Benchmarking for Higher Education OU Press (2000)
- Engaging and Changing Higher Education through Brokerage Routledge (2003)
- Developing Creativity in Higher Education: an imaginative curriculum Routledge (2006)
- Learning for a Complex World: a lifewide concept of learning, education and personal development Authorhouse (2011)
- Tackling the Wicked Challenge of Strategic Change: the story of how a University changed itself Authorhouse (2014)
- Exploring Learning Ecologies Chalk Mountain : Lulu (2016 & 2019)
- Ecologies for Learning and Practice: Emerging Ideas, Sightings and Possibilities Routledge (November 2019)